How to Choose a Provider
To fully realize the benefits of treatments that balance the mind, body, and spirit, it's important to find a holistic health practitioner that's right for you.
Questions to Consider Before Choosing a Holistic Health Practitioner
- Have they treated patients before with similar needs to yours?
- Are they qualified to provide that particular holistic practice? (e.g. do they have any special certification or education, or are they registered with a professional organization such as the NHPC?)
- Is this practice covered by your health insurance, and if not, is there another way to pay for treatment, such as through a health and wellness spending account or through other employee benefits?
- How long, on average, is each individual session of the practice?
- Are there risks associated with this practice?
- Are there any other practices that can address your specific needs, and if so, what are the pros and cons of each practice?
- What follow-up time commitment will be required to benefit from these practices?
- How many follow up visits are usually required for this type of practice?
- Be a proactive participant in your health.
- Tell your practitioner what issues are causing you difficulty.
- Tell your practitioner what outcomes you would like from the treatment.
- Answer all of your practitioner's questions honestly, as this will affect your treatment outcomes.
- You may have to disclose pre-existing conditions and medications.
- Ask what level of dress/undress is required for practices and decide what you are comfortable with.
Your NHPC Practitioner's Role
- Usually begins with an initial assessment that involves a question component. The practitioner will then determine the course of treatment based on that assessment.
- Inform the client of the focus of the treatment, routines to be used, and symptoms to address.
- Treat the client with respect, dignity, and compassion at all times.
- Facilitate the health and well-being of the client.
- Adjust the treatment according to the client's needs.